God Bless Texas

Wednesday, October 9, 2013

This past weekend was one I'd been looking forward to for quite some time, a trip back to my homeland... Texas! I'd been way over due for some Jack in the Box tacos and good Mexican food.

The whole Reaves side of the family was meeting up in Houston for my Papabear's 90th birthday party (yes, 90!), but I decided to fly into Fort Worth a couple days early to hang out with Jeff and Katie. I had not seen their new house yet, and I honestly can't even remember the last time I was in Texas (maybe 3 years ago?).

I flew standby on American Airlines (the family gets passes since my grandpa used to be a Captain for them), and lucky for me - the seat available was first class.  Two vodka ginger ales at 1pm on a Wednesday? Yes, please!

Jeff and Katie landed around the same time I did on Wednesday, except they were coming back from a week long vacation in Seattle and Canada. I'm sure they would have loved to relax for a couple days, but I bombarded them.

Jeff, being the spoiled guy that he is, was the lucky recipient of a Big Green Egg from Katie a couple months ago, so I demanded he make dinner on it. See how nice I am? I let him make a gourmet meal for me right after returning from vacay. Yummmmy!

On Thursday, Katie had to work so Jeff and I took advantage of the beautiful weather and went for a nice bike ride on the Trinity River Trail. My brother is a fitness fanatic, so our ideas of a "casual" bike ride were very different. Either way, it was fun!

We met up with Katie for lunch at (where else?) a Mexican restaurant called Yucatan. Did I mention how much I love Mexican food? Since Katie is a PA at a dermatology office, she's able to offer us some pretty awesome deals (and by deals I mean she does everything for free).

Look how mature we are, handling the medical equipment like adults.

After relaxing for a bit, Jeff and I headed over to our aunt and uncle's house for a bit. John and Michelle have two of the cutest little boys, ever! Brody just turned 7 and got a go kart for his birthday, so I was lucky enough to go for a spin. I was shocked at what a good driver he was! Luke, on the other hand, drove his ATV like a bat out of hell. 

To end our fun-filled day, we met up with some of their friends for dinner at Tim Love's Woodshed Smokehouse. Tim Love is a No Kid Hungry supporter and I was excited to check the place out.  I'm sad I didn't get any shots of the atmosphere or the group, but it was awesome! It's right on the Trinity River and the majority of the seating is outside. Being the fatty I am, I did get a shot of my food. Again, YUM.

On Friday, I woke up bright and early to harass Natalie on her birthday. Natalie, Anna and I all planned to be in LA this past weekend, but then Papabear's party got moved and I couldn't make it. Sad day, but I couldn't miss the party in Houston.

We didn't do much on Friday morning and then met up with Katie for lunch at the original Fuzzy's Taco Shop near TCU. Post-lunch, Katie had a couple patients to see before we could start the 4 hour drive to Houston. While we waited, I was able to experience my first microdermabrasion, thanks to Katie! Kind of painful, but my face still feels awesome.

And then it was finally off to Houston! Adam, my dad and Mitch had all flown in Thursday night, so they were just waiting on us to really get the party started.

It was on this four hour road trip that I finally got my first Jack in the Box tacos of the trip. And of course, they didn't have any ready and I was about to lose my mind waiting. (I'm super patient.)

When we finally pulled into Houston, the party was already in full force so we quickly made our way to the drinks. It was a great night celebrating with a bunch of family I didn't know I had, and Papabear was in great spirits...and drunk. (The next day he told me the reason he got so drunk and fell down twice was because he didn't eat anything all day. Super funny coming from a 90 year old.)

The whole gang!

My cousin Jordan made it down for the occasion!

After a lot of vodka, we made our way back to the hotel...and made a quick stop at Jack in the Box, of course.

Saturday was spent lounging around and then meeting Katie's brother for lunch and football at Yard House and then getting ready for another night celebrating Papabear at his favorite Mexican restaurant, Hacienda San Angel.

Cheers to one of my most favorite people in the world!

After dinner, a group of us headed to a dive bar for some more celebratory drinks in Papabear's honor, then headed back to the hotel (with a pit stop at Jack in the Box... one more time!).

Sunday we wrapped the weekend up at Mamabear and Papabear's before saying goodbye and heading back to Atlanta.

Papabear has an entire closet full of hats (and booze), so we decided to snap a picture with all of us in one of them. The plan was for him to wear his "#1 Grandpa" hat, but he decided on this bad boy instead.

A good time was had by all. Now I have a few days to let me liver recuperate before heading to Auburn for the Auburn/Western Carolina football game this weekend. Woo hoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.